Separate Summaries

jludwig

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got a student db, an assignments db, and a grades db. I have a many to many relationship between the Students and Assignments, and I store the grades in the grades db. The school program is broken into 4 blocks, and several areas in each block, which need an average grade each. I need to be able to get an average grade for each student for each area of each block. Is this making any sense? I can get a summary field to work for all grades per student, but that isn't what I need. Each part of each block, (several summary type fields) needs a summary of it's own.

Please help!

Version: v6.x

Hi and welcome to the forums.

If I understand correctly, you could create a concatenated field of Student & "_" & Block & "_" & Area. Create a subsummary part based on this field and sort your records by the three fields comprising it (Student, Block, Area). Any summary fields placed in this part should summarize based on the concatenated result.

If I've missed the question, let me know. smile.gif

Where are the Blocks being stored? How does a Block relate to a Student?

It might help if you could attach a sample file (zipped or stuffed) of your three dbs so I can get a better idea of the structure.

I think it would help a lot if the Block-Areas were assigned to their own db. Then you can use a version of the calculation field I suggested above. The way it is currently seems like it will take many extra calculations (one for each block-area and a summary for each calc).

This topic is 7304 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.