Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Find next item in value list

This topic is 7326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all--

Am trying to write a script that will simply find the next entry in a value list. For example, if my layout has a field on it called "Name", and that field uses a value list called "Names", and the Name in the current record is "Joe", I want to launch a script that will perform a find on the value immediately following "Joe" in the value list. Hope that makes sense.

Sure, the user could just go into find mode and arrow down 1x in the value list that pops up, but--long story short--I need it to be done via a script.

Thanks, all---

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Suggestion: put the whole text of the value list into a global field (use the ValueListItems function). Compare the first line with the current value, if it does not match then delete the first line. Compare the first line again... and loop until the current value matches. Delete this line and grab the next value.

Thanks for your reply, Vaughan. In Scriptmaker, what is the syntax for comparing a value with 'line 1' and subsequently deleting 'line 1' in a global field, as you suggest? I'm not aware of any script steps that let you break down a multi-line global field in this way.

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi,

If you hadn't duplicated your post, you might also have found another answer in the Finding and Searching forum...

ooo.gif

Please don't duplicate posts, it doesn't help either you and members trying to help you.

Platform: Mac OS 9

This topic is 7326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.