Database recovery automate

Henry

This topic is 7315 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there, just wanna to check is that any way to make the recovery process automate. Just click a button and the system will automatic recover the damage database. For some cases, the recovery process will rename the recovered database to other name(customer.fp5 to customer recovered.fp5). So is that possible the recovery process will automatic recover the corrupted database and rename it back to actual name.

Regards,

Henry

FileMaker Version: Dev 6

Platform: Windows 95/98

This is probably not a good idea to try. Once a database has shown corruption, recovery should only be used to get the data back. It should then be exported to text and imported into a clean clone of the database created before any corruption was noted. At least that's what I do to avoid any headaches.

Dana

ok, thank you for advice

Actually one of my customer database always get corrupted. They say the file just suddernly corrupted during data entry. I already help them to compile a new database and import all data into the new file, but still will face this problem. Just asking why it will happen.

Regards,

Henry

Can happen if more people act as host, in other words when people open the file through 'open' and then find it for themselves on the network, instead of going through 'open remotely'. Vaughans 'opener files' post could probably help you out there.

Or if the db isn't closed correctly/the serving system has crashed. As Reed said, once it's been corrupted, it may well keep on being corrupted after recovery, which could explain why this would happen, even if a crash happened only once and the recovery was succesful.

HTH

Henry:

Automatic Recovery is a mistake, and there are no two ways about it. When a file needs to be recovered, there is a very high probability that it is corrupt (even if it seems to work fine after recovery.) The ideal way to recover files is:

First, to always have a clone of the current solution.

Second, to recover whatever files need recovering.

Third, to import the data from the recovered files into their respective clones.

Fourth, to replace the recovered files with the newly populated clones.

This is because the corruption tends not to be in the data, but in the database file. Now, if you want to automate that whole procedure...

-Stanley

Now i'm also doing this process manually. This is just a request from one of my customer. I think i will let him know the situation and teach him the process of recovery so that he can recover himself, it is more faster than waiting me.

So, ff i found the database damage during devalopement time, is that i just drop the damage file and use my backup file to direct replace it to prevent the database keep on damage on the fulture?

Regards,

Henry

Henry:

Yes, if you've found the damage during development, use the replacement & everything should be fine.

-Stanley

Ok thanks,

now this my final question, how can i check the database status for whether it is corrupted or not. I just want to have a function to check all the databases status from my system. And the other one is after recovery, how can i check which field have been recreated. I don't know how to check it back.

If this can't be done using fm, then is that have any tools or plugin can handle it?

Regards,

Henry

This topic is 7315 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.