Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Getting a space character to work

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have tried many options of getting a space character to work with code 39 font for a bar code. I have used ~, = , _ and nothing seemd to work. Can some suggest a solution to this and where to get the font that would work with the solution?

Sheep:

Just substitute a different character when printing barcodes (something you don't ever use otherwise, like "~" or "|" or "^") and then reconvert (substitute) it into a space when reading from the barcode.

-Stanley

• Newbies

The problem is when I put *999~999* in and make the font a bar code it will not read it when I scan it with a scanner. I just want to find a font that will allow a space character. I would like to enter something like *999 999* aand have it scan that way with out having to do any special programming. Is there a font or key character i can use with code 39 font that will let me do this??

Sheep:

I never noticed before (I use the 3of9 font for barcoding) but a space is just a space in my barcodes; hmm... then again, I never scan anything other than serial numbers, function keys and cmd keys, so it has never come up.

This is actually something you may want to consider. Why are you scanning (in your example) "*999 999*"? Barcodes should always be a key field of some sort, like a serial number. Any other data can be related to that number...

-Stanley

Hi,

Well, I can remember downloading a 39 fonts set. ID Automation I would think.

And they have special functions to automatically translate the spaces.

What are you using exactly ? What Platform ?

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS 9

Other than alphanumeric, code 39 supports...

-

$

/

+

%

and SPACE!!

space should be encoded as narrow-wide-wide-narrow-narrow-narrow-wide-narrow-narrow

in the format bar-space-bar-space-bar-space-bar-space-bar

If it's not working, your Code 39 font might not have a space.

Jason:

That's interesting. I'd imagine Code 39 should do most alphanumeric characters, but after checking out the 3of9 font which I'm using (and have been using for three years now), I find that it enters a space for Space, @, #, and more, even the comma... So I reiterate what I wrote earlier about using serial numbers in barcodes - you're pretty much guaranteed to get a positive result, if you're only using numbers...

-Stanley

Sheep:

In that case, you're going to have to do a bit of research, and find a code 39 font that includes a space. As I wrote before, the one I use (3of9) has no space character. In the event that you cannot find such a font, I'd ask (and I am curious to know) why you've got to use a check digit, and why you've got to process a space character. Are these barcodes that are getting delivered to you, which your system has to read?

-Stanley

Don't you have to set the scanner to accept all ascii characters or something for code39 if you want other than UPPER A-Z and 0-9 ? Plus the font has to have the proper characters. In the font set I have there is a special set for the extra characters.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows XP

This topic is 7316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.