Server Maintenance This Week. ×

secuencial field

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know this can be a newbe question, but it will help me.

I'm trying to create a secuencial numeric field that is increased in 1 in every new record, and it comes to 1 whith the new year.

So, it will be:

I've read in other posts about a relation and a global field, but I don't get it. Could somebody help?

FileMaker Version: 3

Platform: Windows 95/98

The normal way to do this would be to create a field and use the auto enter serial number option for the field. However this would not reset to 1 at the start of the new year.

An alternative is to use the auto enter by calculation option and use the following calculation: DayofYear(status(currentdate)). This should restart the value at 1 in the new year.

Hope that helps

Echo

Hi Echo

That's a good idea.

The problem is that in my filemaker I'll have more than one new record one day and no new records another day, and I need this secuencial field. At the end I'll need something like:

1/2004, 2/2004, 3/2004... 1/2005, 2/2005,...

thanks for your time.

Ignasi

Create a number calculation field (if one does not already exist) equal to the year of the record, Year(Status(CurrentDate)). Create a self-relationship based on this calculation field and sort it by the sequential number seqNum (descending). Create another field seqNext equal to self_year::seqNum + 1. Make the sequential number seqNum a number field with an auto-enter calculation of seqNext. Deselect the 'Do not evaluate...' option.

This topic is 7313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.