Filenaming with xml export

gareece

This topic is 7292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Can anyone help me to understand how I can script a unique file name when performing an xml export.

I would like to automate an export which creates a file with unique and meaningful name. Ideally I would like to take data from a single record's field and insert that as the filename.

For example if I am exporting a client record I would like the xml export file to be named "smith.xml".

No takers I see smile.gif

You can't do it natively in FileMaker. What you need to do is create the export file with the hard-code file name, then use either a plugin or some native OS scripting to change the file name to what you want (Applescript, VBscript).

I'll showing exactly that at this year's filemaker developer conference.

HTH

Wim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.

Another problem I have is that when I write a script to place a file on the desktop it only works on the machine that created the script. I have 2 client machines connecting to an FM5 Server and need either client to create the file and place it on their own desktop's.

Any ideas?

Excepting for using a plug-in, the best option is *not* to specify the location of the file in the Export script step. Let the user save it to their own disks where ever they prefer.

This is a bugger if the saved file is then further processed: in this case about the only thing to do is to get one of the plugins that allow more control over files. Troi makes some that are often mentioned here.

This topic is 7292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.