Server Maintenance This Week. ×

show single related record in portal

grinducci

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got two files, customer and accounts, with a relationship between CustID in each file. The portal in Customer shows all related accounts based on this relationship, and displays only the relevant accounts for that customer. I made a button for the account field to display that specific account for more detail, but regardless of which row in the portal I click, it shows the first record of all that customer's accounts. I want to go directly to the specific record in the portal row that I click. Can this be accomplished?

Make sure "Go To Related Record" is the first step of your script, otherwise the script may lose focus of the portal row you clicked from.

If you can't do that, create a global in Customer and make the first script step [set Field (GlobalField, "AccountID")]. Then go to that record at the appropriate time using a GTRR based on a relationship from that field to Accounts.AccountID.

Does this help?

Jerry

• Newbies

Hello!

I am trying to type data into a portal. When I tab to the second line of the portal, a new record is created. Is there a script I can use to prevent this from happening?

In other words, I want add severl lines of data in the portal without a new record being created.

Each line of a portal is one related record. You can set the relationship to disallow creation of related records if you only want to create new related records via script.

You may be confused between tab key and return key functions in FileMaker. You can hit return in order to continue entering more lines of text (in the same record's text field), but TAB functions as a way to advance to the next field (which, in a one-field portal, means the next record).

If you want a real "tab" character, say to line letters up nicely, you can hit option-tab on Mac, and I'm sure there's some similar way in Windows.

This topic is 7270 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.