Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Need to search textstring longer than 20

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need a solution (script?) that would allow me to search a text field containing one long string for the presence of a sequence. I've read that Filemaker will only search the first 20 characters in a word, and 60 characters total. Can one make a script that would search the first left 20, then positions 10 - 30, then 20 -40, etc. Or is this not possible?

[email protected]

Not exactly true, you are confusing two different things. FileMaker only INDEXES the first 20 characters of a contiguous string in a text field. Searching for a string can be done with a calculation and will work up to the maximum length of a text field (64K characters).

Flag (number) = PatternCount(Field, "abcxyz") > 0

-bd

Filemaker will index "words" up to 20 characters, and "lines" up to 60 characters. A "word" is a series of characters unbroken by spaces. A "line" is a series of words unbroken by a paragraph character.

LiveOak's solution is a good one if you are looking for a specific sequence of characters. If you are doing more generic searching, then you will need to make sure that you setup you data with the restrictions in mind.

This topic is 8311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.