Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Performance when using subscripts

This topic is 8242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I've got a question: Will the extensive use of subscripts within a single database (not the use of external sub-scripts) affect the performance of scripts as a whole? Or in another way: Will splitting a single script into let's say 10 subscripts degrade the performace of the script, compared to leaving the script the way it is...

Greetingz,

Dodge

LiveOak is correct.

There obviously some kind of performance hit, but I'd bet that if every script in your DB was only 2 lines long and you had thousands of scripts and you were doing a ton of loops, you MIGHT see or be able to measure the difference.

However in the normal course of action, you will be so much better off with lots of subscripts. Makes managing the scripting so much easier.

I still follow some old programming rules, which basically say that you should subscript anything that is repeated in more than one script, anything inside a loop, any script that is more than 20 steps long or anything that can be broken up into logical parts.

Hi,

Thanks for both of your replies.

I don't think I'll be using thousands of scripts though, but since I'm working on a huge piece of software you never know! Most of the time, when working with standard databases, you won't need that much scripting. When you're trying to do things with FileMaker that are basically not meant to be done in a standard database environment, of perhaps only partially, things can get quite difficult. So if the performance isn't affected much, or at least not noticeable to the end user, I guess using subscripts is the best way to go.

FYI: I'm working on an Entourage like program, inside FM. I'm sure you know Entourage, so need I say more? I think it can be done. Whether or not I'll be able to do all that by myself is another question. I'm not sure which of the features I'll include, but I believe FM has many advantages over Entourage, especially in an existing Mac/FM environment.

Dodge

This topic is 8242 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.