Timed Applescript to trigger Filemaker script

This topic is 8015 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like to create a script using either applescript or filemaker to perform the following:

at 7:00 , 10:00, 14:00, 18:00, 22:00 perform filemaker script "import"

To give you an idea of exactly what I am try to accomplish-

We have a in house system here and we have a remote filemaker web server host and we would like to import our new records without having to have a person doing it. So that is why I have times to perform script. Thanks!

There are other ways to do this, but it can be done totally in FM. One way is to set a machine to startup with Energy Saver, put a FM file in the System startup folder, set the startup script for the file to perform the operation. The machine could then be shutdown on time or by having FM run an AppleScript.

A second way is run a looping script:

Loop

Pause Resume Script (5 min)

Exit Loop if (Status(CurrentTime) > Time(23,59,00)) <-- or whatever time

End Loop

Import

etc.

-bd

OBTW, one of the other ways is to use a FM scheduling plug-in.

[ October 16, 2001: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

Use I Do script scheduler to trigger an AppleScript. The Lite version is free and is found on recent Mac OS install disks.

You might need the enhanced version for the situation described. You should set up 5 independent daily triggers for the same script; the free version only allows for three. Alternatively, you could set it up to trigger your script every 3 or 4 hours.

• 6 months later...
  • Newbies

My goal is to get a FileMaker script to run 3 to 4 times a day. First, I tried setting another FMP file to open on a schedule and perform an external script... but the database with the script has a password, so it will not run unattended.

I tried the looping script, but it did not do anything. Am I supposed to trigger it in some way? I tried triggering it on startup.

Originally, I was trying to run a Filemaker Script using Applescript on FMP Server 5 (Mac OS 8.6). The applescript runs if I use FMP 5 UL, but not server. Are there any changes I need to make. Here is the script I am using:

tell application "FMP Server 5" to tell document "myFile.fp5"

do script FileMaker script "IMPORT"

end tell

I have also tried this (and a number of other combinations):

tell application "FMP Server 5"

open document "myFile.fp5"

tell document "myFile.fp5"

do script FileMaker script "IMPORT"

end tell

end tell

I have also tried replacing the word "document" with "file" and "database".

Thanks!

Barbara

"First, I tried setting another FMP file to open on a schedule and perform an external script... but the database with the script has a password, so it will not run unattended. "

Sure it will. Just set up the same password in the opener file and tell it to use that password by default.

..."tell application "FMP Server 5" to tell document "myFile.fp5"

do script FileMaker script "IMPORT" ..."

FileMaker Server just hosts the files. You have to open the files on a client computer and run the Applescripts and/or FileMaker scripts from there.

This is how FileMaker works:

1. you make a file A, you assign it a password.

2. you make another file B, assign it the same password

3. set the preferences of B to use that password as default

4. now file B will not ask for a password when it opens

5. if file B is opened and calls a script in file A, file A will open via the same password -- yes it will!

The only thing I can think of is that you're working with more than one file, and they don't have the same password priveleges. It's possible to work around this by using two opener files with different passwords.

This topic is 8015 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.