Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM perfection is still a *few* items away ...

This topic is 7225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

1) Define Fields - When I drag the field size larger so I can read longer field names and then close, it reopens scrunched up again.

2) I wish I could kick someone's butt for the sloopy Import/Export boxes. They obviously took the time to review and change it; and it helps having clearer map symbols. While they were there, they could have also added a few things - like a clear-all ability. It is obvious that whoever designs this has no real-life importing experience. They certainly haven't had to import 250 text fields without matching field names and had to manually unselect each darned one - if they had, it would be fixed by now. crazy.gif

3) Fix portal right-side disappearing issue - ie, when you place anything close to the scroll it disappears. I understand the need to keep the scroll visible, but it irritates me nonetheless, and we should be able to place items much closer without the entire thing going wonky.

4) Ability to attach scripts to repeating fields. I know in 7 we now can specify one rep to display (and which rep number) and then attach scripts to each ... but we should be able to specify a different script directly to each rep anyway. Transparent rectangles work sometimes, but not when you want to use the repetition number you are 'trying' to select.

5) Event triggers? Yeah, well a girl can dream ...

Thank you for the link, Ray. wink.gif

1) Define Fields - When I drag the field size larger so I can read longer field names and then close, it reopens scrunched up again.

2) I wish I could kick someone's butt for the sloopy Import/Export boxes. They obviously took the time to review and change it; and it helps having clearer map symbols. While they were there, they could have also added a few things - like a clear-all ability. It is obvious that whoever designs this has no real-life importing experience. They certainly haven't had to import 250 text fields without matching field names and had to manually unselect each darned one - if they had, it would be fixed by now. crazy.gif

3) Fix portal right-side disappearing issue - ie, when you place anything close to the scroll it disappears. I understand the need to keep the scroll visible, but it irritates me nonetheless, and we should be able to place items much closer without the entire thing going wonky.

4) Ability to attach scripts to repeating fields. I know in 7 we now can specify one rep to display (and which rep number) and then attach scripts to each ... but we should be able to specify a different script directly to each rep anyway. Transparent rectangles work sometimes, but not when you want to use the repetition number you are 'trying' to select.

5) Event triggers? Yeah, well a girl can dream

3. Hm, I don't experience that.

4. That would be nice. But you can attach the same script to buttons over each repeat and just pass the repeat number as a parameter.

5. We already have that. Every copy of Developer 7 comes with an example plugin in that does a few useful things including event based script automation.

I agree that the Define Fields field name width resetting is annoying. Not critical, but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to change.

I'd also like to see the Specify Fields dialog default to the field names instead of the repetition (maybe you repeating field fans would disagree.)

BruceR said...4. That would be nice. But you can attach the same script to buttons over each repeat and just pass the repeat number as a parameter.

I was quite sure I said that and just checked ... yep, I pretty-much said that. We shouldn't need to create buttons over them - we should be able to attach scripts to each rep when many are displayed. Sorry I was unclear on it. wink.gif

5. We already have that. Every copy of Developer 7 comes with an example plugin in that does a few useful things including event based script automation.

I would never use this in a 'real' solution. It is an example not meant for commercial (or important) solutions. giggle.gif

I'm happy to report that my positive FM7 list is 1200 times as long as my 'you still need to improve' list. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep pushing them.

LaRetta

Bruce, I haven't tried the example plugin because I have others I use. But this thread did it for me (along with the other link CobaltSky refers to). I just can't get excited about this plugin; nor can I feel right referring others to it:

Cafe' on Example Developer Plugin

LaRetta

Good points. A modified version of the plugin is already available for free from another developer,, I believe it addresses these issues. But I also think this demonstrates why FMI has been reluctant to build in this feature. People have been clamoring for it but not always recognizing the implications. It can easlly lead to all kinds of problems. Imagine doing a replace on a large record set, for instance, and suppose that multiple fields have run-on-field-mod scripts.

This topic is 7225 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.