Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Resuming Pause/Resume Script Step

This topic is 8184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, first post here.

I am using FileMaker 5.5v1 on Windows 2000 SP2

I have a very simple test script with the following:

Pause/Resume Script[] - Set To Indefinitely

Show Message["Resumed"]

I have a button on an empty layout that is set to "Resume Script"

My intention is when the script runs, it will pause (and it does), then I either can press the resume button I created, or I can press Enter and it should resume. However, when I press Enter, I get the following message:

"Before Typing, press Tab, click in a field, or choose the New Record menu command"

There is one record in this database (it is only a menu database).

FileMaker Pro built-in help says:

Select Indefinitely to pause the script until the user clicks Continue (a button created by FileMaker Pro in the status area) or presses Enter.

But pressing Enter does not work.

Any suggestions?

The Enter and Return buttons perform different functions.

Enter is on the numeric keypad and generally is used for activating buttons. The Return key is on the alpha part of the kayboard and is generally used for inserting a paragraph return into a body of text.

Make sure that you are using the correct button, I bet you are hitting Return.

quote:

Originally posted by Trevor Gildersleeve:

Actually, I am using a Dell laptop which has no numeric keypad, and the "Return" key has "Enter" written on it.

It's possible that you must hold down a modifier key, e.g. "fn" or "function" when pressing Return on your laptop in order to send "Enter".

Possibly.

I tried the script on a computer with an extended keyboard and the Enter key on there works as expected.

I now understand that it is a "feature" and not a bug.

It's just seems unnatural for the user to have to think about it that way in certain circumstances.

e.g. A login script where username & password is entered. I have the script paused because it's easy to "lock" the user into that layout using the Allow User Abort [off] It also disables many of the menu selections within filemaker.

I will try to re-think the scripts to accomplish the same task a different way.

Thank you everyone!

quote:

A login script where username & password is entered. I have the script paused because it's easy to "lock" the user into that layout using the Allow User Abort [off] It also disables many of the menu selections within filemaker

Have the script pause in Find mode. The Return key will cause the script to continue. While still in Find mode, use Set Key to put the values entered into global fields, or whatever.

quote:

Originally posted by Trevor Gildersleeve:

I tried the script on a computer with an extended keyboard and the Enter key on there works as expected.

A login script where username & password is entered. I have the script paused because it's easy to "lock" the user into that layout using the Allow User Abort [off] It also disables many of the menu selections within filemaker.

This is a completely INSECURE method. These scripts are easily aborted and the so-called log-ins bypassed. Ask Jean-marie from yesterday.

Old Advance Man

This topic is 8184 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.