Loop and continue menu functions

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've created a loop that checks for new message every five minutes on our message database and performs a show message if there is a new message for someone...

however, i now realize I can't do anything else in filemaker while the loop is performing? It grays out all other windows (other dbases, open, new record, etc. are all grayed out)

Is there any way around this?

thanks

"can't do anything else" isn't exactly accurate. You can perform other scripts, data entry, etc. We often use a loop to prevent a user from closing a window or quitting out of FM. You have to options: implement the things you want to do with scripts and buttons or use a plug-in such as Activator to trigger your scripts upon the appropriate conditions, instead of looping.

-bd

Thanks for the suggestions...

Unfortunately, the database that has the loop in it is just one of five...So i was looking for an easy way for employees to automatically see if they had new messages as well as toggle between their timesheet database, materials database, etc.

If all three are opened at once and I run an end loop on the phone messages database...I can no longer access the other two databases...cause the loop runs every five minutes and i didn't want the loop to stop...

I've tried the activator plugin but i've found the documentation lacking and haven't been able to tailor to my needs...

thanks

gary

This topic is 8117 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.