Re-printing Script

This topic is 8126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ah, yes.

I should just do a search for all records that have letters printed for that day, and set them to print. I think the script could be quite extensive, though, because I have over 38 letters. Each letter has its own print date field. I just thought that someone might have a little shortcut.

Thanks for your help

Ken

There is a challenge here: the OS considers printing successful if it is spooled to the disk for background printing. If there is a paper mis-feed or something (or the pages are accidentally shredded by somebody) FMP has no way of knowing.

I suggest scripting the process. After the print dialog, bring up a "Show Message" that asks if the letters have printed correctly. If yes, mark them done. If no, offer to print them again.

Thanks for continually helping me, Vaughan.

I like your idea of a message asking if they printed correctly. The only problem is that right now I have a script with several sub-scripts - one for each letter. When a given sub-script finds records that match the find criteria, it marks a field for each letter, and another for its print date. Then it moves on to the next sub-script for the next letter. What I was thinking of doing was have another script that searches the records for letters that printed that day, then printing them. What do you think??

Thanks,

Ken

Is there a way for people to re-print the letters if (when) the dog eats them? Easily? Really easily? If not, then I'd NOT mark them "done" until the user says so.

A thought occurred to me the other day. And since this is the best forum site on the Internet, I thought I would ask you guys.

In my solution, a button is clicked to trigger a script to print letters automatically. I was thinking that there might be a problem with the printer, and the print job would be messed up. Has anyone thought of a useful way to re-print jobs that have just occured??

Have you tried clicking the button again?

OK, assuming the script also does something to the records so that they don't print again...

Create a "LetterSent" field that returns the date in which the letter was printed. Have the script enter the current date in that field. That way, you can find the latest batch and reprint. (I'll leave the actual scripting to you).

This topic is 8126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.