Running Total Across Records?

joemacgruder

This topic is 7183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Whats the best way to keep a current running total across records when entering information in a different table? Confusing description, I know. I have a data entry table and a data storage table and the storage table stores the actual line item records created in the entry table. So I'll only see one record in the entry table while I have 10 created (from new line items) in the storage table. It would be great if I could see the running total of the records in the storage table while I am adding new items (to the layout that appears in the entry table). I have tried a summary field for the other table but it only shows me the current total for the page i'm on, and not all the records created. Is this too confusing of a description? Please let me know if it is.Thanks!!! grin.gif

Are you asking for a count of records related to the current record or a count of all records in the table, regardless of whether they're related?

The first would use a calculation field in the entry table of Count(relationship::id). The second would use the same, but the relationship would be one using a Cartesian join (the X operator in the relationship definition) to relate all records to each other.

Are you asking for a count of records related to the current record or a count of all records in the table, regardless of whether they're related?

The information i am entering in the line item table is items with a cost associated to them. Each line item creates it's own record which is related by a quote#. Within 1 quote I can have many different areas so I'm not just adding up the cost totals on my current layout only. But, I'd like to see what the current cumulative total for the quote is regardless of which table or layout I'm on at the time. Is that any clearer? Sorry for the confusion, I just can't think of any better way to put it.

You need a relationship based on Quote#. Then a Count calculation will show you the number of all related items and a Sum(rel::fieldA) calculation will give you the total of related 'fieldA' values.

This topic is 7183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.