Capturing the change in field

This topic is 8065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Setup 2 extra fields, one is a text field, the other a calculation which concatenates all of your "actual" data fields together.

You start by setting the text field to be the same as the calculated field.

During your navigation you will need to find a place where you can script a check between the contents of the calc field and the text field. If they do not match, a change has been made to one or more of the actual fields and you can take appropriate action.

However before doing this, take a step back and determine why you need to do this. Make sure that going through this checking process is the ONLY way to accomplish your goal.

HINT: This is NOT the way to prevent unauthorized changes to fields.

If you're just looking for a date modified field that only examines specific fields, you can create a calculated field with the following formula:

Status(CurrentDate)+Length(Left(

Field1 &

Field2 &

Field3 &

Field4,

0))

Make it a stored calculation field. Field1 through Field4 are the data fields that you want to trigger the date modified calculation. So, you can expand the formula as necessary

to include all applicable fields.

This doesn't require any scripting.

Hi everyone,

As often happens, i'm not really sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but since it probably involves scripting I’ll give it a try.

I have a database with a ridiculous # of fields (140), some are auxiliary calc fields and some are genuine data. I need to flag the changes in the actual data fields, but not the auxiliary fields. That's where MODIFIED ON field proves absolutely useless, 'cause if I run any script that sets any field values, according to MODIFIED ON field I've just modified the record. Can't argue with that ironclad logic.

In my nightmarish dream last night I've envisioned having to get Events plug-in, and than run a script with globals upon leaving each data field (we're talking 100 fields or so) shocked.gif

Is there an easier way to accomplish that?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Capt and Bob, thanks.

Both solutions are great, I like the logic. Wish I could give you the 6th star wink.gif

This brings me to a different question about scripts, which came up while reading the posts. iDo Script Scheduler was mentioned as a utility for scheduling scripts with AppleScript, but I don't think this works with Windows. Is there such utility for File Maker scripts in Windows, or does one need a plug-in?

Thanks again for the help

This topic is 8065 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.