Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMv7 read bar codes ?

This topic is 7064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Geogeo:

You can treat a barcode reader just like any other input device, and it is quite simple to do in FileMaker. I have built a number of inventory-tracking systems which print barcode labels (using the 3of9 barcode font); when the barcode is scanned in, the record comes up for the user. The method is:

enter find mode

go to the field you want to search (the barcode data field)

pause for the scanner

perform the find

You will need to program your scanner to place the ASCII character for "enter" as a suffix, or add that character as a suffix to your barcodes when they are printed, or else the scripted find will never escape that pause (or the user will have to hit "enter", which is no good.)

I use the HHP 3800 series scanners - they're sturdy & reliable.

-Stanley

Thanks, Stanley.

Thanks for advice on HP scanner and how to enter data.

Actually the application my people want is much simpler than what you do. In fact I am at loggerheads about this with those people. The job is to create a photo DB file based on existing FM7 excellent template. It will contain several hundred photos of the paintings of a deceased artist. The person 'ordering' this job loves the idea of playing with a handscanner, like he's seen in supermarket ck out counters. Frankly I believe it impractical. They've got 45 sheets of 20 transparencies. My idea is simply to number or 'letter' each sheet of pictures as AA, AB and so on. And the transparencies of each sheet would range from '1' thru '20'. Therefore the first sheet would have pictures designated as AA01 to AA20. Putting a code barre on each transparency when it's already in the data base seems to me redundant. I've asked them to give me a step by step analysis of what they want done, but they keep saying 'you know like in a supermarket'. How's that for precision? Just to satisfy them using a new toy can you suggest a practical application of a handscanner in this situation? Regret bothering you about this.

Thanks,

G

Barcode scanners are just a way to enter data without typing. At the supermarket, the checker could key in the product code for each item. It would just be slower. If you were, for instance, scanning the label on a physical box for a product and having the computer bring up the current price, a scanner make sense. In your case, looking through a binder of 45 x 20 barcodes and scanning one just to lookup one of 900 images doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

-bd

barcodes on the slides can make a lot of sense if you lend them out and want to track returns....

And the barcode simply reads AA01, AA02 ... , so it can be an ADDITIONAL feature worth trying if you are handling 10000s of similar pictures, but typing a four-digit code is much faster than grabbing the scanner, calling the script, then back to keyboard ...

Just make sure typing in a code brings up a preview of the pic, so the operator can check he's typed the right code.

You can change your mind at any time. Adding barcodes just needs one additional script and a button it is attached to,

• 3 weeks later...

If you use a serial barcode scanner, such as most bluetooth ones, you can use the Troi Serial plugin so that you don't have to enter a script or field before scanning - just scan and the Serial plugin will run the dispatch script you designated to process incoming scans.

Also, even with an HID scanner, there's no need to start a script beforehand, but the user will need to click in the scanning field (usually a global field). The scanner can be setup to hit a key combination such as command-1 or control-1 (PC) in order to active a script under the scripts menu.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris:

I've never used FM mobile. The solutions I've done are all FMP, and the scanners are USB scanners attached directly to the computers.

-Stanley

This topic is 7064 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.