Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Backup script for multiple files

This topic is 8072 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am developing a database which has multiple files, at least four of which need to be included in an export or a backup of a set of records that might be imported to another computer with the solution running on it. (the solution will not be networked at this point in time.) I have included the backup as part of the shutdown script, and have included the option to direct the saving of the files to disk, or wherever the user chooses as a destination as well as the naming of the files. I would like to streamline this operation so that the user does not have to deal with the Save window coming up repeatedly. I'm not sure if this is possible. Is there any other way that I can deal with this issue.

I also have included a message in the shutdown script in which I give the user the choice of backing up or just quiting. In the Status (CurrentMessageChoice) I make quiting the second choice. In order to quit, the user must click this button twice. They should only have to click it once. That portion of my script reads:

If Status (CurrentMessageChoice) = 2)

Quit Application

EndIf

I'm a relatively new developer and am struggling with some of the scripting. I have probably overlooked something obvious.

The only Mac & Windows solution to this that I know of is the Troi File plugin. On Macs you can use AppleScript, and you might be able to use ActiveX on Windows, although I'm not as familiar with that technology.

Regarding the Show Message dialog, I'm not sure what the problem might be. It could be that for some reason FileMaker isn't the frontmost application, in which case the first click brings it to the front and the second actually clicks the button. Does the show message dialog appear to be the frontmost window before the first click?

Chuck

• Newbies

Yes, the window is foremost in that the user clicks the exit application button and the message window comes up with the option to backup or exit. When the user clicks the backup choice, that option proceeds. When the exit button is pushed, nothing happens the first time. Upon clicking the second time, the application quits as scripted.

• Newbies

Thanks for the input from all of you. Given the nature of my users, many who aren't convinced that backup is a high priority, I need to make the process as simple as possible. It sounds as if the Troi file plug-in may be the answer as I am developing cross-platform. I don't know much about it and am not sure if or how it will solve the problem. Can anyone shed some light on that without it requiring a lot of your time. I would want to know for sure that it would do the job before making an investment in a developer's license? I know I can download a demo which I have done, but haven't had the time to look at it very closely. How high is the learning curve? By the way, I am realizing that I will also face the problem of having to export records from multiple files. Will the Troi file plug-in help me there?

As for my other problem with the message script, I did solve that. I had attached that script to the shutdown in preferences as I wanted it to run in case they chose "quit" from the file menu. I discovered that the message buttons worked fine when I quit from file, but when I chose to quit without backup in the message window, quit had to be clicked twice, so I removed the shutdown from preferences and my message window now works OK. Not sure why, but it does.

There is virtually no learning curve (or very minimal) with the Troi File plugins. Make sure you put the plugin in the proper folder. I use 2 of his plugins (the dialog as well), and they work as advertised. His example file is all you really need. I don't know what you're anticipating doing with exporting data records. The file plugin will easily let you create folders, files, move files, copy files, etc.

This topic is 8072 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.