problems accessing records by their unique ID

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The Filemaker 7 Apple Events reference describes a custom reference form for records using the unique record ID. The reference "record ID 23" names the record whose unique record ID is 23. I had hoped to use this reference form to communicate between FM scripts and AppleScripts, using Get(RecordID) in FM to identify the unique record ID to pass it to an AppleScript. (Specifically, I use a calculation to create an AppleScript containing that reference.) However, I have discovered that the unique ID for a record as used in Apple Events is not necessarily the same as the value returned by Get(RecordID). In my particular case, IDs less than 128 are the same, but larger ones differ by 32768-128. If this were the whole story, I could work around the problem, but it isn't. I checked a second database, and the pattern is somewhat different. Does anyone know a way to make this work?

At a higher level, what is the best way for a FM script to identify a specific record to an AppleScript? I would like to avoid depending on which layout is current, what the found set is, etc.

Here is some test code:

tell application "FileMaker Pro"

tell database 1

get ID of every record

end tell

end tell

I'm using 7.0v3.

• 4 months later...

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.