Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best way to Connect remotely , and how??

noaspenwin

This topic is 7127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just reviving a previous post. Thanks for repsonses so far, but forgot to add to the question, how do I use Filemakers remote access should we choose to try that option? Seems I am not doing something correct as I cannot call up his IP and see hosted files.

I have a new client. He's using windows platform as am I, XP to be exact. So he wants me to work remotely on his live database. What is the best way to do this with the least amount of slow down?:? I have high speed cable modem access. Thanks for any assistance.

You don't even need to be on the same platform for this to work (as an aside).

7 is a lot faster in this respect than 6. But working remotely, especially doing design work is dangerous. If your or his netowrk connection drops then you might corrupt the file you were in.

Since you're both on Windows, see if you can Remote Desktop to take over one of the XP boxes inside his network and do the changes from there.

Benefits:

- it's even faster

- when the connection drops all that terminates is your session to the remote XP desktop, not the FMP to FMS connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Following up on this question to anyone who is following this... I am trying to allow a remote user access to a couple of files on my pc/xp for data entry purposes. On her pc/xp, I did a remote open, went to favorite hosts, entered my IP Address & the filename - but it apparently requires a path(?) in order to complete the opening process. (The "Open" button remains grayed out. I thought if I just entered my IP Address & filename that that would have been sufficient. Any suggestions? BTW - this is direct access, not though a server. I believe I have all the appropriate filesharing options on or enabled. confused.gif

You shouldn't need to enter a filename. When you enter the IP address the available files will show up on the right side of the screen assuming the files are hosted properly and there are no filewalls in the way.

(unless you have a problem like mine - see my later post)

Howdy! I'm not sure about FM7, but in previous versions of FM, all you need to share your database remotely is an externally-accessible IP address (not internal like 192.168.x.x) and to have your database open and shared (TCP/IP for most folks). If you do use an internal IP address, for example on a home network with a router set for internal DHCP service, you would have to set the router to perform PORT FORWARDING for the appropriate FM ports (can't remember). FileMaker handles the sharing of the database independently from your operating system's file sharing, so no paths or system passwords should be necessary and it should not matter if it is Mac/Windows in most cases. Access the remote db using the OPEN > HOSTS or OPEN REMOTE method. If the host is outside your local network, you will have to type in the host's external IP address. If you have set passwords for your database, it will prompt you for a password unless you have created a "no password" option, in which case you can prompt for a password by holding down a modifier key (OPTION on Mac) as you open the db from the list of available databases.

Hope this helps some!

--ST

This topic is 7127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.