Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Limiting calculations to subsets

This topic is 7126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey, there --

I'm using FMPro 5.5. We have a database used to manage our mouse colony with >70k records. My problem is, I've created a field to give a current age for each record in weeks [(Today-birthdate)/7]. Works fine, but the value is recalculated every morning the first time filemaker is open. And with 70,000 records, this takes a long time. (~15 minutes, according to the coworker who pointed this out to me.) How can I reduce this problem? I'd like to somehow limit the calculation to only those records where a certain field has a certain value. Something like "If 'alive?' equals 'Y', then (Today-birthdate)/7" but I have no idea what the language for that would be and I'm not entirely sure this would speed the process up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Use Status(CurrentDate) instead of Today and make the calculation unstored in the Storage Options (Do not store calculation results).

You could do something like Case( IsEmpty(deathdate), (Status(CurrentDate) - birthdate)/7 ).

It won't recalculate for all records unless you have all records found and are using a list view layout with the field on it. Unstored calculations only calculate when they or calculation that references them is on the current layout.

This topic is 7126 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.