Sign in to follow this  
Katherine Russell

Search of populated portal returns no records

Hi all--I am getting unexpected behavior in a portal. I have an inconvenient work-around, but I'd rather understand what is happening. The native key is a single line text calculation, and the foreign key is a multi-line text calculation. I see data in the portal, but performing a find returns no records found, whether I search for specific data or "> 0" or empty. I built test files duplicating the fields and relationships, and the problem persists. When I change the NATIVE key to a text field, the problem goes away. Any ideas what I'm missing? The work-around is to regularly update the native text field with the calculated results of the native key, but that's counter-intuitive . Thanks in advance!

Make sure the data types of the two keys are the same -- number, text, etc. Weird things happen when the data types are different, especially text & number mixed.

"Performing a find" - on what? You haven't described what you are doing.

Is your single-line text calculation stored or unstored?

Thanks, Vaughan. I actually figured it out--my native key is a calculation based on a bunch of related fields (Contacts_ID::CompanyName or Contacts_FirstName::CompanyName, etc.). In Find mode, that calculation is empty or invalid, therefore the relationship is invalid, therefore no results are found. I've been doing this a long time, and this the first time I've boxed myself into an invalid relationship with the NATIVE key. [i say quietly to myself, "Duh."]