FM Server Admin connection error to remote server

This topic is 7091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been able to connect to my FM 7 hosted files on my FM Server 7 machine locally and remotely on the LAN and through the internet. My problem is I am trying to connect to the FM server with the FM Server Admin software through the internet. I have been able to do it with another machine on the LAN but I need to do it via the internet.

I know the port numbers for connecting the hosted files, port 5003. I have tried the port 25003 and 50003 to administer the server but none of them work.

I have set our gateway router to forward these ports to our server machine.

Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong.

FM Server 7v2

Mac OSX 10.3

IIRC if you are using NAT you can not connect the SAT tool via a WAN. You must VPN to the LAn.

Why is this true? If I want to access FM server through any type of network, filemaker should not care. If I can access the hosted files being hosted by the same server then I should also be able to access the server through the admim software provided by FM. Why must it be a VPN. I can understand for security reasins but mandatory no.

You need to open ports 5003 and 50003 on your firewall

I have already openned these ports and I still can't access the admin part of the server. Only hosted files.

Steps:

1. Opened the ports 5003 and 50003 on our NAT gateway router and fowarded both to the machine running the FM server.

2. Start up the Filemaker Server Admin software on a remote machine outside the LAN.

3. Pull up the connect to Server Window and display the Favorite Server list.

4. Click the Add to Favorites. Type in the public ip address for our network into the Address field and give the hostname anything (I don't think this matters).

5. Click on the Connect button. An error dialog appears saying, "Connection Failure. Could not connect to server Hostname and public ip address".

So what am I doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone find out the answer to this? I am having the same problem except at my company the policy is to leave the Windows SP2 Firewall on. I've added fmserver.exe to the exception list and also ports 5003 and 25003 and 50003 to the exceptions but I still cannot connect remotely with Server Admin to the server. The computers are all on the same LAN. Turning off the firewall on the server fixes the issue, but there's got to be some port that we're missing here?

Well, I've got all those ports open and I still can't get there. I'm able to connect as a remote user. But Filemaker admin won't connect. Error: Could not connect to FileMaker Server (207.x.x.x).

Previously I just had a simple hub, but now I have a DLink DI-514 and there must be something about the setup that isn't working. If somebody knowledgable wants to see screen shots or whatever let me know.

This topic is 7091 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.