Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Repeating fields and relationships

This topic is 6919 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On another Forum the other day, a member asked if there was a way to dynamically get a list of related records in a repeating fields, without any script.

This idea got me a bit excited, and I tried to find a way through this, just to see how FM7 helped to solve the case.

So the goal was to have a 12 repeating field filled with the 12 months sales results for a given selected year.

Note that this is part of a set of 3 files I'm building, the 2 others using scripts would be posted later, but you can get the picture with this one.

Ah...forgot to say. There's a charting tip here for those interrested.

Happy FileMaking

RelInRepsCalc.zip

• 5 months later...

hi

i don't know if this is the same thing. i need to move entries from one portal to another. i have assumed a looping script will do the trick, but filemaker does not seem to allow differentiaiton between portals and the loop gets 'confused' when moving the next portal row. as a workaround, i can get all the data into the "second" portal from a repeating field (as a kind of bridge), but i can't seem to get the data from the "first" portal into the repeating field - the looping script places the data consecutive data always into the first repeating field and i cannot find a step that moves the data into the next repeating field. can anybody help?

• 2 weeks later...

i need to move entries from one portal to another. i have assumed a looping script will do the trick, but filemaker does not seem to allow differentiaiton between portals and the loop gets 'confused' when moving the next portal row. as a workaround

No thats not true, the way is to step into a field in each portal, but by and large is such a desire is not hinting in direction of a normalized structure, I'm afraid ...try to investigate this thread:

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat...true#Post159122

...and this:

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat...true#Post159226

Especially is it important to investigate the templates!!

However, what about the opposite direction from a repeat to a portal?? And does it make sense at all???

Well when IWP'ing are you constrained to a limited number of script steps, and here are there two in particular that makes it difficult to work without. Go To Portal Row and Import ....

Imports are fast great etc. but are greyed out, and was the usual way to convert back in 1995 when filemaker turned relational, because when importing are you prompted if you wish to split repeaters in individual records.

Now why would we use repeating fields at all?? Today have Filemaker feature upgraded repeating fields and this have given us Get ( CalculationRepetitionNumber ) that can be utilised in making series of values such as a span of dates we might be needing as values in a many2many's join table.

To publish these in a IWP solution can't Go To Portal Row be used either, it's also greyed out - But long scripts with wagon loads of GetRepetition('s might work, but are tiresome to write. So I started out this morning by investigating if I could write it recursively...

You can investigate the upload and see if I have taken enough precautions, one big problem was empty repetitions and even worse pseudo empties where the value were starting with a pilcrow, which is likely to screw up the MiddleValues is use to split the script parameters. Empties are also an issue because They're corrupting the Count( function's result.

I do gladly receive suggestions to simplifications!!!!

Enjoy

--sd

repToPort2.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.