Server Maintenance This Week. ×

project discounts

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

quote:

Originally posted by stefangs:

I have a project file which points to a sessions file by the project name. The project consists of several sessions. In the sessions file, there is a portal to a 'line items' file where charges are entered. The first field in the portal is a popup from a supplies file and a quantity is also entered. So far, so good. Now i want to be able to give discounts if the number of items triggers a certain quantity. This qty might never happen in a single session, but across a project. I've defined this keyfield:

theKey [Calculation, Text] = "id supplies & project". Using a selfjoin with this field in the line items file, i can figure out how many items were used on the project in total in the field: qtpproject [Calculation, Number] = Sum(selfjoin, quantitysession). The bad news is that using a summary of this field on a form in the line items file with subsummaries will display the wrong info, because the calculated quantity appears on every matching record instead of just once. But i can't put the field in the master file, because there is no matchfield, unless I were to define a huge matchfield with every item in the supplies file spliced onto the current project name. what to do??

i hope i made myself clear. thanks for any help.

This might be easier to accomplish with a simple script, run when preparing the invoice. Any kind of complex calculation like this might have serious performance ramifications. Plus you should only want to apply the discount at a given time, not just anytime the record is viewed.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I have a project file which points to a sessions file by the project name. The project consists of several sessions. In the sessions file, there is a portal to a 'line items' file where charges are entered. The first field in the portal is a popup from a supplies file and a quantity is also entered. So far, so good. Now i want to be able to give discounts if the number of items triggers a certain quantity. This qty might never happen in a single session, but across a project. I've defined this keyfield:

theKey [Calculation, Text] = "id supplies & project". Using a selfjoin with this field in the line items file, i can figure out how many items were used on the project in total in the field: qtpproject [Calculation, Number] = Sum(selfjoin, quantitysession). The bad news is that using a summary of this field on a form in the line items file with subsummaries will display the wrong info, because the calculated quantity appears on every matching record instead of just once. But i can't put the field in the master file, because there is no matchfield, unless I were to define a huge matchfield with every item in the supplies file spliced onto the current project name. what to do??

i hope i made myself clear. thanks for any help.

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.