Server Maintenance This Week. ×

inventory control feature

This topic is 7045 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've established invoicing and product files. Now I would like to create a means for managing inventory levels and a way to deduct inventory when an order ships. Any help on where I could obtain instructional material for this pursuit, or is this a goal best left to the "programmer" types? Your advise will be appreciated.

Hi

I don't know why transpower mentioned Custom Function to you, a user of v6???

This appears to be a question about Resources. I can recommend "Special Edition Using FileMaker Pro 5", by Coulombre and Price. It is well written. It discusses inventory solutions in detail, and includes some templates that you can modify and use.

HTH

Lee

cool.gif

Transpower,

I think your shorting out.

Your responses are way off base. We are a learning Forum and the person is trying to learn v6. Your responses about v7 are meaningless. And the snide remark about learn v6 is uncalled for.

Sometimes I really have to bit my lip with your meaningless answers.

Lee

mad.gif

Geebrig:

Welcome to the Forums. Lee's recommendation (the Coulombre & Price book) is a good one. The book is out of print, but you can find it on eBay at times. It comes with a CD with all sorts of good stuff on it.

Regarding inventory control, it is not too too compicated to do. If you can design the logic of it, you can build it in FileMaker without too much fuss. The thing to keep in mind is that you will want to keep track of three different things: the current inventory level, additions to inventory, and deductions from inventory. To do this you'll need two related databases: One which shows the current level of inventory, and another which shows all the moves in and out (a sort of receipt system.)

This may seem complicated at first, but once you've got a firm grasp on how relationships work, you'll be on your way.

Good luck

-Stanley

Hey...

I wouldn't bet a penny anyone else than you understood about "Learn FileMaker 6..." being the title of a book.

And the same goes for who would say you were'nt the one to be ridiculous here, as in some other many occasions with your now well know "one-liner" answers.

This topic is 7045 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.