Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can I verify valid date in Custom Dialog?

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have script with a Show Custom Dialog allowing the user to change a date. The actual date being changed in the dialog is a global date field, which I will set to the final date field when the date has been validated.

I have already detected if they try to enter nothing - If IsEmpty(gDate), then fail. But I don't know how to detect an invalid date. I tried inserting an If Status(CurrentError) = 500, but it doesn't trigger when it should. Any ideas?

I use global text fields for date entry, because invalid ones are not allowed in global date fields. And if you have Set Error Capture [On], no error message will be returned when an invalid one is entered, but the script will still fail once you attempt to exit the record. Using a global text field makes it easy. You can use If [isValid(TextToDate(gText))] to test the result, without the nasty side-effects. This, of course, means users must enter a 4-digit date, but that should be standard practice already.

Excellent suggestion. I am now using the text field and using this validation on it before I proceed with my script:

If [(not IsValid(TextToDate(temp_global_text_4))) or (Length(temp_global_text_4) notequal.gif 10)]

I tested using the two-digit year, but when I tried changing 12/26/2004 to 12/27/04, it actually changed it to 12/27/1904. So, that's why I added the Length(gText) function to catch for that.

I know that FileMaker 6 went through a couple revisions involving the date format, but I know that I have to add that length function on my FileMaker 6.0v4 Dev version.

Darn, I just realized that the 10 digit length won't work for dates like 1-1-2005, 1-15-2005 or 10-8-2005. I think this works better:

(not IsValid(TextToDate(temp_global_text_4))) or (Length(RightWords(temp_global_text_4, 1)) notequal.gif 4)

I have another suggestion - not littering a solution with globals:

If [ IsEmpty ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) )  xor  IsEmpty ( Untitled::DateEntry ) ] 

Perform Script [ "Validate Dialog"; Parameter: Untitled::DateEntry ] 

Else 

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Hola amigo"; Message: "Please enter a new date"; Buttons: "OK"; Input #1: Untitled::DateEntry ] 

If [  not IsValid ( Untitled::DateEntry ) ] 

Show Custom Dialog [ Title: "Error!!!"; Message: "Invalid entry...the value is returned to it's previous state"; Buttons: "OK" ] 

Set Field [ Untitled::DateEntry; Get ( ScriptParameter ) ] 

End If 

End If 

Where second line is a recursive call!!!

--sd

Actually, I was wrong about the 4-digit year necessity. I also use a script to convert years that may fall under the wrong century.

The only validation that should be necessary is If [not IsValid(TextToDate(temp_global_text_4))] or IsEmpty(temp_global_text_4)] If this validation passes, set your date field with TextToDate(temp_global_text_4) and then If [Year(datefield) < 1990], Set Field [datefield, Date( Month(datefield), Day(datefield), Year(datefield) + 100 )], substituting your lowest year for 1990.

This topic is 7034 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.