Exporting unindexed fields

This topic is 8410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field on my database that uses other fields of an other database, so it can't be indexed. But I have to export this field and other unindexed fields, like DBF, that are used on an IBM system. Because this fields are unindexed the exportation is very, very slow....something like 3 hours...how can I otimze it???

Does filemaker have an way to turn this fields indexed???

Thanks for your help

If it is possible to index the fields (fields such as related field, globals, and calculation fields based upon these types can't be indexed), indexing can be forced on by going to Define Fields ---> Options ---> Storage Tab and turning indexing on. -bd

If indexing is the problem and you turn on indexing for those fields which allow it, that is the best you can do from a FM standpoint.

Other options are to run FM and the files concerned on as fast machine as you can buy and use a RAM disk. The use of a RAM disk should significantly speed up the disk accesses involved in the export.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by Pedro:

Thanks Live Oak for your help, but don't we have an way to solve this problem?:

As this is a problem for you here is a possible solution: Store those unstored fields. Set them up as either lookups or auto-entered calculations. In many cases this can help to speed up your export significiently, especially with some of the more complex calculations being reduced to simply a stored value.

It the problem is simply with related values, perhaps you can export from each file seperately and merge them during your import?

This topic is 8410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.