Go to related field not working

JamieT

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am sharing multiple related files on FM server advanced. This problem seems to coincide with my updating FileMaker 7 to version 3 but I was having similar problems on some user's computers before the update. Server Advanced is updated to version 2 but I believe the problem is not on the server end because the same thing happens when running the database from my local drive.

Basically, when "Go to related record" is included in a script, alone or otherwise, it doesn't do anything (doesn't go to the external layout it's supposed to). When I make a button that does the same thing without actually writing a script, it works fine. Unfortunately, I need to run an if statement before committing the "go to related record" script step.

I can't find any other post that relates a similar problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi Jamie,

The GTRR script command does still work in 7.0v3, so I'd hazard a guess that there is something amiss with the way you've specified the source TO or the target layout in the scripted version of the command.

Either that or the script is altering the context prior to execution of the GTRR (changing the current record or the layout etc) such that the command executes in a different context than you were expecting.

HTH

I'm sure you are right; the answer is something simple, I just can't figure it out.

I ran some more tests in response to your message to no avail.

I've created new scripts with only the "go to related records" step and create a button that runs it and it doesn't do anything. I then assign that button directly to the "go to related records" function and it works fine.

Some other interesting points:

The "go to related records" script step does seem to be working with relationships to files other than the one I'm having trouble with.

I created a new (duplicate) relationship with this file to check if the original relationship I'm using is corrupt but it doesn't work either.

The "go to related record" script doesn't work in returning back to the original file either.

The relationship is operational because I'm using it to display some fields in a portal and that is working fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Well, if a scripted GTRR is working when pointed to other files, but not to this one file, I suggest that you start looking for anomalies with the target file.

For example, are there several layouts with the same or similar names, but based on different TOs? ARe there several TOs with similar names? Do you have more than one copy of the file lying around? It seem likely that something is pointing to the wrong place or fouling the process up.

OK, I'm afraid I was a little wrong in my earlier post. Go to related record does not work if placed in a script, period. It doesn't work with any other file or relationship; I've tried a number of other databases.

The same function works fine when called directly, but that same function doesn't do anything if it's in a calculation.

Weirdly enough, when I go the the file using other means, it opens on the layout and viewing the records that the "Go to related Records" calculation was supposed to call up. So the calculation is doing everything except bring up the right layout for the user to see.

Any other ideas out there? I'm gettig desperate.

Thanks.

Is this for FM 6 or 7? Your profile shows 6, but you referenced 7 in the original post.

If it's in 6, you need to call a script in the related file to put you on the right layout and restore or maximize the window. If it's in 7, could you post a copy/clone of your problem file?

OK, that seems to be working. I guess I will just have to avoid navigating to other files and do everything through one master file. I didn't even know you could set a layout to a table outside the file.

Thanks for your help!!!

This topic is 7022 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.