Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to Reset a database

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database, and I am going to duplicate it, strip the data and build up a new database (they will work in very simialr ways). However I notice that the RecID's for my CDML web files are still vey high numbers, and I'd like to bring them back down - so how do I "reset" the database to think it is young instead of old?

Thanks

A

Sure, I do that already, but this is a CDML published datbase, so when someone need to edit a record, it is given a RecID by FM, and these RecIDs are not modifiable, and are high numbers. It does not particularly matter, but if it is possible to reset the databases to low number RecIDs, then I would like to do that.

I didn't notice that you were using FM6. The clone method works great in FM7. When I update a database that is at a customer site, I just bring in a clone of the update and run an import script. Works great every time.

Mike

Creating a clone will work fine. The only thing it will lack is records--all relationships, field definitions, and scripts will be left intact. Then just change your RecID's field definition to start with a lower number.

When creating a clone, you'll also lose any globals you had pre-set. It might not matter, but it can catch you out if you're relying on it.

-Stanley

Very true, in which case importing a single record from the original db, with auto-enter options not performed, and including globals in the import order, then deleting the record, will resolve that issue.

If you only have a few globals about which you are concerned (I would think containers are the primary issue), copy/paste is also an easy option.

Yes. When I create clones for the customer to use in case they do an emergency Recover, I always import a single (seemingly blank) first record into it, to preserve globals, (yes, I forgot) containers, etc.)

-Stanley

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.