Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calc that says "Yes" if record is in found count?

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to have a calc that determines if a record is part of a found count? Say I have 10 records in the found count...

I know I can have a field that uses Status(CurrentFoundCount) and will return 10

I can also put "@@" on the layout, and it numbers the records in order from 1-10

If there was anyway to do the equivelant of If("@@" < Status(CurrentFoundCount), "Yes", "")

Of course that is impossible, but it was the best way I could think of to describe what I was trying to do.

Larry

I don't know if this is good design or not, but when I'm working with a found set that I need to return to or otherwise get information about, I have a number field called InFoundSet. I find the records, then by script I set that field to 1 for all records in the found set. I also have a "clear found set" script that sets the ones back to zeroes.

Create a global field, _gFound IDs.

In your main table, create a layout with only the unique serial ID. Go to the layout, Copy All Records.

Go to a layout with _gFoundIDs. Paste. Commit.

Calculation field:

Case ( PatternCount (

Hi Larry,

A couple of things. First, setting a flag field to "1" throughout the found set is a really bad idea if there is any chance that your solution will ever be shared on a server - because each user will see other user's 1s as well as their own - and when one user clears the 1s they will (presumably) clear everyone else's at the same time.

With this in mind, the method that Fenton is suggesting is a better option. Globals have separate values for each user in a shared solution, so there will be no conflict.

However since you're using FIleMaker 7, there is another option, and that is to capture the search criteria and place them in a field which is then evaluated using the Evaluate( ) function. So for instance if your users search for records with 30 in an 'Amount' field, capture the name of the field and the criteria entered into it (eg have a script that is used to execute the find which first writes out the criteria to a global text field) in the form of an appropriate expression such as:

Amount = 30

A calc field which has a formula along the lines of:

Evaluate ( YourGlobal )

...will then return a 1 for the records in the found set (ie those that meet the search criteria and a zero for all other records.

If your searches include multiple criteria and lots of find operators, then there may be a bit of work to translate them into an appropriate syntax in the global field - in which case you may prefer the mthod Fenton has mentioned, but if not, this method is an option that will avoid the necessity for an additional layout for each table. wink.gif

Ray,

Sorry, my mistake. For this particular solution I am stuck using FM6. Thought I had chose v6 when I posted, but apparently not.

Fenton,

I assume that even though I made the mistake of posting using v7, your idea will still work with v6? Using what you said, I tried to re-apply it to version 6 but am not sure if I got it. In particular, SerialID? Must be a FM7 thing.

Larry

Hmmn... the mistake was mine not yours, Larry. blush.gif

Now you've mentioned it, I do see that against your original post, right down the very bottom, underneath where it says 'FMP: 7' it also says 'This Post FMP: 6'. I'm afraid I must have seen the 'FMP:7' and looked no further...

Since you're using v6 for this project, I'd give my vote to the method Fenton has described. wink.gif

Let me see if I have this...

1) I created a global field called _gFound ID.

2) I have a field called Record_ID which is a unique record identifier using Status(CurrentRecordID)

3) I created a calc field that uses Case( PatternCount( "

You only need a layout containing only Record_ID and one layout containing _gFound IDs (it need not be the only field on the layout). Go to the layout containing Record_ID and Copy All Records. Then go to the _gFound IDs layout and Paste into _gFound IDs. _gFoundIDs then contains all of the found set's Record_IDs.

You can also loop through the found set and append the Record_IDs to _gFound IDs, separated by "

Easier to see in an example.

A couple more considerations:

Copy All Records requires Export privileges; hence could be a security risk if enabled for everyone. You can get around this in 7 by setting that subscript to [x] Run with full access privileges. In 6 you could build the list in the global field with a Loop instead. But it's not as fast.

There is a limit to the size of a text field. In 6 it's 64,000 characters. If your ID field and found sets are both large, that can add up. In 7 it's 2GB; not to worry.

FoundCountIDs.zip

This topic is 7021 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.