import a list of emails & swop them in FM7

This topic is 7014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Anybody,

I am a FM7 neophyte. I have database with a list of emails, some of which I have now discovered are wrong. I have a txt file with a list of emails that need to be erased. How can I import this list which FM7 will then search my databsae and erase the listed addresses? Even better, can I replace them automatically with another address

Paste the txt file into a global, create a new record for each email and use a parsing script to paste into fields of old and new email's from the global field, erasing the newly added email. Then write a script that then finds the emails that needs change and changes it. This can be done in Filemaker's Scripts, you do not need any AppleScript.

So, you're saying you have a text list of BAD email addresses. which you want to find and erase in your database?

The fastest way is to paste them into a global field, as dkemme says. You can go to them all in one step, if you create a relationship from that global field to the email address field, then use Go To Related Record [show only matching]. Then just Replace [email address, ""] (nothing).

But you have to know what you're doing. There's no Undo for Replace. I don't know really know what you mean by "replace them automatically with another address." Where's this other address?

If you have 2 addresses in your list, the bad one and the good one, you should import them as Tab or Comma-separated text; both on one line, into a FileMaker file (or table). Then you could use Replace to swap the good for the bad; once again using a relationship, on the bad one (which is the same in both tables).

This topic is 7014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.