Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Specify Script Options

This topic is 6961 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When you open Script Maker and use the scroll on the mouse, FM nicely scrolls down your scripts for you. In fact, most of the Dialogs work similarly and are quite predictable.

However, if you open Specify Button and select Perform Script (and you are presented with your list of scripts) Specify Script Options doesn't work the same way. If you begin mouse-scrolling, FM scrolls your FILES instead. If you happen to stop on an import file, FM even gets a bit rude about it. Of course, once you click into the scripts it then works as expected but it should duplicate Script Maker and mouse-scroll immediately upon open.

It should scroll the scripts; that's what you usually want to scroll (and that's the longest list there; not that pop-up). I hope they bring this into consistent logic in future versions; it continually irritates me.

I have let them know my preference on this issue. They DO listen to us and the more feedback they receive (good and bad), the better FileMaker will be for all of us.

LaRetta

I've yet to see them fix anything concerning an interface problem.

- Portal Pop

- Ability to deselect 'Show Field Frames'

- Specifying portal rows to display .. repetitions to display

- Multiple control of field entry (Browse and/or Find)

- The GRAPH (need I say more on this one?)

- Text styles and colorizing (okay, I just threw that in because it's nifty) ...

Dinner is served! wink.gif

Not quite...you're talking about application functionality. I'm talking about our interface problems and issues:

- The debugger's lack of ability to display field values. There is not a debugger anywhere that I've seen that doesn't display a field's values.

- No way to copy script steps to the clipboard, no global editing of a script.

- The import dialog is abominable. Try getting an inexperienced user to do it correctly.

- No mouse over help. Show me one other major app that doesn't have mouse over.

- No built in ability to trigger a script when you enter a field or leave a field.

- A pretty pathetic Show Message. Serious developers need a plugin.

- We still need a file plugin to read the contents of files, no ability to manipulate files and folders.

- No native ability to popup a calendar as one of the Field Format choices.

- No ability to resize some windows, and some windows with dual panes resize the wrong pane.

- The DDR is a joke. If you have a complex solution, you'll need external tools.

- Create a runtime, and you'll find all the DLLs mixed in with the user's data files.

- If you have a field that has a script attached to it, if the user tabs into the field, the script won't run.

- If you delete a script that is called by another script, you get no warning.

- No easy ability to move scripts up or down in the list, except 1 at a time, or with a plugin.

I like my prime rib medium rare. What time is dinner served?

Steve

Steve, do you know that in the import dialog, Ctrl-DownArrow and Ctrl-UpArrow will move fields on the right-hand side down or up? You probably already knew that, but I feel compelled to mention it whenever the issue comes up.

And I know, this in no way makes up for the fact that the import and export dialogs are possibly the most difficult-to-use feature of any software ever.

I know of no workarounds for the other problems. Yeah, they're real stinkers.

J

Yeah Jerry, I do know about the Ctrl Keys. It's still a pain in the ass. Would you really want an inexperienced user to cope with that crap? It forced me to develop a different technique using a combination of WinBatch and FM that avoids the dialog.

Steve

This topic is 6961 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.