Importing Excel Tables

This topic is 6912 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I have been using FMP 7 for a little under a year and Applescript a little longer, and I'm trying to do something that seems like it should be really simple in FMP 7, even without Applescript. I want to import an existing Excel table into an existing FMP database as a new table with all of the field names automatically created from the Excel table's header row. I can get the Excel table to open in a NEW FMP database by simply drag and dropping the excel table onto FMP, but then I see no way of importing this table into the other existing FMP database without manually creating the table and all the field names to import into.

So.... now I am trying to create an Applescript to grab the field names from the header row of the excel table, and create a new table in an open FMP database, with new fields being created for each column. My script is as follows:

tell application"FileMaker Pro"

tell front document 

tell last table

create new field

end tell

end tell

end tell

And when I run this it gives me an error "FileMaker Pro got an error: Event not handled." on the "create new field" line, even if I try it with "create new field with properties {name:"A new field"}"

So any ideas on how I can do this, with or without a script, easily? It should be simple and something that others have done in the past, no?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

How does other applications, such as FMrobot perform this task? Is it possible via the menu items?

I'm just starting to check out FMRobot, so I'm no expert. However, FMRobot requires a DDR which can only be made within FileMaker Developer Edition AFAIK. I also have been trying to figure out FileMaker Migrator, but I'm lost with it so far.

I don't think that there would be a market for these utilities if it were possible to just open an Excel file and create the fields. OCICBW.

HTH

Lee

wink.gif

This topic is 6912 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.