Summarizing field on new record request.

This topic is 6960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

this is very strange. Up untill last week, my system was fine. I have a layout that has a summary field (total paid)on it. But most of the records are done on a different layout (payment). When I add a new record, on the payment layout, now it starts summarizing the field on the total paid layout. It never did that before. I guess if that is supposed to be normal because it is on the same table, then I should create a script that will set field to the total of the found set. But how would it go? Or is there something wrong with my system?

It is a RED FLAG that your files might have become corrupted when they start acting differently, and you haven't made any modifications to them.

Lee

When I add a new record, on the payment layout, now it starts summarizing the field on the total paid layout.

Let me turn the issue upside down ...which might explain what is going on.

When switching to a new layout, all unstored values re-evaluates due to it's dependencies, while staying on the same layout ...it happens that that unstored calc's hang unfreshened. This means that other measures have to be used in order to freshen accordingly. One exception is this:

http://www.fmforums.com/threads/showflat...true#Post166180

...and please procede to Cobaltskys explanation in the linked page!!!

Other links to the issue, is this:

http://www.dwdataconcepts.com/dl/tw/UPDATE.ZIP

--sd

Soren,

Thanks for pointing me to that. That made me look at the whole of the calculation and I realized that I did have a global the was using the summary field for another calculation... so, it was refreshing the summary field everytime. So I took the global calc. out and made a script with the calculation in it so it can be triggered when needed.

Thanks a ton.

This topic is 6960 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.