Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using VB.Net to launch FM7 files

This topic is 6856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need some help from VB.Net gurus. I have a main FM7 solution and I need to run a number of FM scripts at various times during the day. I've developed a simple database for each script which simple launches the appropriate script upon opening and then closes itself. My problem is developing executable scripts which can be launched by Windows XP Task Scheduler. I've come close but can't seem to get the correct syntax down. Any and all help is appreciated. I've spent about four weeks playing around with this. confused.gif

No need for VB.NET to do this, a simple VBScript will do. Look in the filemaker help file for "activeX". You'll find a full VB/VBA example there. You can easily adapt it to VBscript. Or compile an app in VB if you have Visual Basic 6.

If you really want to do this in VB.NET then you need to know about Interop and how .NET code can use legacy COM objects. Can be done but it's not straightforward. I have C# code that does it and it took me a really long time to figure it out...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you. I followed your suggestions and made some progress. Ran into a little bit of trouble because FM Help for ActiveX made it clear it was important to include FMPROLIB in the Add References step, but this wasn't possible when simply writing VBScript in Notepad. Turns out it was unnecessary. Biggest help was actually looking at your scripts from Connecting Data. With some work I was able to develop scripts to do the various jobs I needed. Again, thank you for a number of different sources of help.

This topic is 6856 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.