Find/Edit fields

This topic is 8025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

On a layout I want the user to be able to see the data in the field, search the fields, but not able to enter/edit the field in browse mode.

I now have a layout setup where the user can view the information and search the fields, but they can edit the text. If I select the 'do not allow entry into field' option, the user cannot search that field anymore as they can no longer enter it.

I cannot make these field strict as I need to be able to edit them in other layouts. Nor can I setup a 'search layout' in find mode, as I need them to be able to browse through the records before and after searches.

I'm sorry if this is a beginner type question, but I'm new to this FM stuff.. learning as I go.

Here's a nice technique

Lets say your basic field is called "basicfield"

Now creat a new calculation field called "calcfield"

The calulation is calcfierld = basicfield.

Now you can use the calcfield for find requests, but users can't modify it because its a calculation.

Very clever Mark.. Very clever.

thanks alot.

Now a question for another forum perhaps, but with all these additional fields should I be having concerns? Does it matter? I ask because I have now about doubled the amout of feilds in my DB.

Without knowing how many fields you have, I'd guess that until you get above 1000 you'll won't have problems. At that point, it may indicate the need to split the file up, but more for maintenance than the fact that FM can't handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

This simple technique saves the bother of creating calculated fields and keeping track of whether you are using the original field or the calculated field on a layout. The script is easily copied and modified for any field.

Assign the following script to the field ???

If[status(CurrentMode)=1]

Go to Field [FIELDa]

Exit Script

EndIf

Enter Find Mode []

Go to Field [FIELDa]

You should also ensure that this field is excluded from your tab order or the user could tab into the field and then edit / delete.

This topic is 8025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.