Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to make a calendar

coffeec

This topic is 6771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am looking to make a clendar for my organization. I do not want to buy a calendar because most are expensive for multi user use. Is there any tutorials or directions somewhere on the inernet that can show me how to make a calendar with a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly view and repeating events, special events, etc...

Thanks,

Coffee.

This topic comes up from time to time. Do a search for Calendars and you should find plenty of leads and information on how to build a Calendar.

BTW, I have posted links in the past, and if you use my name and calendar, you will find what you are looking for.

[color:green]Search = [color:blue]All Forums

[color:green]Keywords = [color:blue]Calendar

[color:green] Username = [color:blue]Lee Smith

HTH

Lee

• 2 months later...
  • Newbies

Lee,

I try your sugestion as to the search on Calendar. Fells like everye is sending us to sme one else - LOL.

I would like to build a calendar / scheduling system (as a learning experence) is their a sample site, script or files I can get.

Please note that most of the files posted are out of date.

regards

You need to update your profile to reflect your OS, Platform, and version of FileMaker. Many solutions can be dependent on one or more of these.

The reason for referring you to "Me" is because if you do the search as shown, you will find I have posted files, pointed to sites, and in the Same Treads, others have posted solutions. on this subject several times in the past.

However, since posted that, several of the FREE calendars have been updated to version 8, and if you do the search suggested, you might find a product Announcement or two on that.

HTH

Lee

I am looking to make a clendar for my organization. I do not want to buy a calendar because most are expensive for multi user use. Is there any tutorials or directions somewhere on the inernet that can show me how to make a calendar with a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly view and repeating events, special events, etc...

Thanks,

Coffee.

Hi Coffee,

There are a couple of magic numbers for calendars:

42 - the number of cells you will need and corresponding relationships - that is standard on a calendar 7 days x 6 weeks

7 - The first day of a grid that you know falls within the current month. Values for all other parts of the grid can reference this particular cell.

Actually showing events in the calendar requires a portal for each day. The relationship is a compound key including both date information, contact information and in a multi user situation user information. Setting up the interface to make it easy to dig for info is the hard part.

I imagine you are on FMP7 or 8 - If you go to my site you can download "Little Helper" for FMP7. It will show you how an interface for this type of thing goes together.

IF you are on FMP5/6 you can download Little Helper or alternatively download Group Schedule (I have not brought it through to 7/8 yet). Both will run without payment.

http://www/lichen-software.com and follow the links.

HTH

Dave McQueen

LICHEN Software

42 - the number of cells you will need and corresponding relationships - that is standard on a calendar 7 days x 6 weeks

Hi. You don't necessarily need 42 relationships for a month view. You can use 7 relationships, providing you multiply them by 6 records. Our free calendar (CC Calendar for FileMaker 7/8) works this way; it is completely unlocked so you can take it apart and see if this 7x6 option makes sense for you. One reason we like it is that fewer redundant relationships mean less work modifying the calendar.

HTH,

John

Edited by Guest

Excelisys offers a number of tutorials with sample files, including a navigatible calendar for FMP 7/8, here:

http://www.excelisys.com/services/fmp7/tips_tricks.htm

I haven't really looked at the calendar solution, but they suggest that only 3 fields are necessary!

I haven't really looked at the calendar solution, but they suggest that only 3 fields are necessary!

Differentiate between calendars -

There was a Pick Calendar that was packaged up with some of the earlier versions of FMP that had I believe only 6 fields total. It allowed you to pick a date and then have something either happen or displayed.

A display calendar is a little different, depending on the data you want to display for each date and how you want the calendar to appear and whether it has to be cross platform etc.

The number of fields will grow for this type of display.

HTH

Dave McQueen

This topic is 6771 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.