Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relational Lookup of Summary Fields?

Jerremy

This topic is 8638 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all... Here is my problem... I have one database 'time manager' that tracks hours worked on a certain job. So, you type in the 'job number' and then your hours worked on that job. In another file 'job critical', the job information is stored. It is also used for tracking and estimating. I am trying to link the two... I want to be able to go to a cost tracking layout in job critical, type in the job number and have it go to time manager and go to the hours worked summary field - grab the total hours worked on that job and update the field in job critical. I can't seem to make this work. I have created a bunch of hack scripts that copy and paste values from on database to another... But I don't want to have it work like that... So, the big question is, how do I get the total hours for a job in time manager into job critical? Now, I have the scripts copy the job number in job critical, go to time manager, enter find mode, paste the job number, perform the find, copy the summary result of the hours, go back to job critical and paste the hours... I have defined a relationship to the job numbers in each file... Then in job critical I made the summary field a calc that used the getsummary calc with the summary field in time manager as the first value and the job number from job critical as the second value... That didn't work... What am I doing wrong? Thanks for ANY help!!

Jerremy

quote:

Originally posted by Jerremy:

Hello all... Here is my problem... I have one database 'time manager' that tracks hours worked on a certain job. So, you type in the 'job number' and then your hours worked on that job. In another file 'job critical', the job information is stored. It is also used for tracking and estimating. I am trying to link the two... I want to be able to go to a cost tracking layout in job critical, type in the job number and have it go to time manager and go to the hours worked summary field - grab the total hours worked on that job and update the field in job critical. I can't seem to make this work. I have created a bunch of hack scripts that copy and paste values from on database to another... But I don't want to have it work like that... So, the big question is, how do I get the total hours for a job in time manager into job critical? Now, I have the scripts copy the job number in job critical, go to time manager, enter find mode, paste the job number, perform the find, copy the summary result of the hours, go back to job critical and paste the hours... I have defined a relationship to the job numbers in each file... Then in job critical I made the summary field a calc that used the getsummary calc with the summary field in time manager as the first value and the job number from job critical as the second value... That didn't work... What am I doing wrong? Thanks for ANY help!!

Well, I am not sure what you are doing wrong specifically, but here is what I would do. In the Job Critical file have a calculation field called Job Total and set it to Sum(Time Manager by Job Number::Hours). Make sure you have a relationship to Time Manager by Job Number and you are all set.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8638 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.