create relationships-

garcyr

This topic is 8464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Ok here the situation, i got 6 different files and i want to use one of those files as a "search file" in which all the fields in the "search files" would be able to search in the other one. In all my files i got 17 fields that are the same. Now how would I proceed to create this search file so that i would be able to go in my "search file" and type a name or a last name or name of a street or even the name of the city. and it would search the other files.

If I understand correctly...

You want to create a search database so you don't have to rebuild the search structure in to each seperate 6 databases?

I have created a search file where if say I am in my client file I hit Search. A new file is brought forward, where I can select from a list, Type of Search Requests. IE:

Invoice No, Client No, Client Name, Phone Number, Street Name, etc.

After I select one, I can type in a request.

and press a button that depending on which method I choose, the script would direct me to the approporiate database, and there perform a find function either by entering find mode or by using relationships to find the result.

Explanation: if I choose Client no, Or phone number, or Name, it would search the client database, If I choose invoice number it would go search the invoice database, or if I choose part number it would bring up the invoice database.

I suppose if you want to perform the same search in each file say for phone number you could execute a script in each file to find your request. How you choose to present your findings to the user may be more challenging.

Typically when you perform a search the user is shown the results, but if the results are hidden, you would have to toggle between files

some way presenting to the user that the current found set is their request.

Make sure you provide for error handeling, this way if one of your db's comes up empty, the user isn't presented with a blank screen.

hope this helps

sd

This topic is 8464 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.