Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Pro 8 to Outlook

Jalz

This topic is 6738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Guys,

Can anyone (possibly Wim?) point me in the right direction. Ive got a FileMaker Database and I'd like to schedule a task in it and then parse the data to create an outlook task with a reminder. Can I do this using vbs or do I need the full blown Visual Basic?

Cheers

VBscript will do just fine. One of my Devcon presentations last year was taking FM data and creating an Outlook appointment. A task would be similar.

Where to go from here:

- look for the file named VBAOL11.chm (the number will correspond with the version of Outlook on your system). That file describes the Outlook Object model and has all the examples you need. Keep in mind though that these examples are for VBA. VBscript is very similar but just different enough that you'll need to make some changes to the code (no variable types, no named constants)

- once you have a VBscript that works outside FM, then incorporate it into FM. Put the VBscript syntax in a global, put placeholders in the VBscript where your FM data needs to go and use a substitute script to populate another global with the merged data of your master VBscript and your data. Use the Export Field Contents to create the physical VBscript on the hard disk (use variables to get the user's documents folder, use a variable in the 'specify output folder'), use the Send Event to execute it, put a pause in and use another Send Event to delete the VBscript again (you don't want to user to find it and accidentally run it again).

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Holler when you get stuck...

Thanks Wim,

I really appreciate your help, and the funny thing is ; I acyually understand your explanation. I'll give it a go as soon as I sort out my colleagues computer, but will post again if I get stuck.

Cheers

This topic is 6738 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.