Lookups

Ocean West

This topic is 8294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create a relationship in [FILE A.FP5] to [FILE B.FP5]

the key fields would be the unique product code.

Product Code = Product Code

Then in [FILE A.FP5]

Create some fields: Product Description, Product Price, etc...

In the field opitons of the newly defined fields check lookup option

then select the relationship you wish to link to, then from the list of fields in the related file choose the corresponding fields.

In pratice once you type in the product code it will instantly lookup the description and price, that data will remain static until you clear the product code field and retype in the same or another code or use the re-lookup command, or import records with the relookup option checked; Then it will use the latest data conatined in the product database.

Something to consider, if perhaps your industry / business has high pricing changes and turnovers you might keep a seperate database of changes and when changes were made for comparison purposes.

Yes.

That's the Answer, but I think you're looking for something more. For Understanding, make dummy files and play with dummy data (have fun). Have some data get looked up, change the 'prices', etc. and create a new record. View them As List, one above the other, and observe the behavior. You should see that the first record still has the old price (or cat's name, or bust size, or whatever fun dummy data you used).

Features make more sense when you've played with them, testing different conditions.

Can anybody out there help me make my lookups work? I want to link a unique product code in one file with a description of that item and its price in another file. Am i right that this kind of auto-enter would maintain the price of an item (i.e., widgets used to cost $10, now they cost $12) to accurately indicate the price paid last year, for example, as well as the accurate price if someone buys it today?

This topic is 8294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.