Basic Question

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

But im beating my against a wall trying to figure this out. I have a table in which I would like to show a portal of all incomplete records only. The record is completed simply by checking a (check box) field. In the portal I would like to see only the records that are incomplete, so that once the record is checked it will disappear from the portal. Displayed in the portal would be the person's name that the record belongs to as well as a case number. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ron,

If that checkbox in your related portal table contains (for example 1 or 0 - 1 being completed), you can create a relationship from your main table based upon a 0 match on both sides. In this way, the records will show (when not complete). But when the User clicks the checkbox to complete (1), the record will disappear from the portal because the relationship will break. It could be similar to: MainID = RelatedID AND global0 = Related::checkbox. The field in Main could be global or simply a calculation = 0.

If you use global, you could even allow toggle between three states: 0, 1 or 0¶1. In this way, Users could see ALL related records for that specific Main; only those completed; or only those incomplete. If there isn't currently a main-to-related, it's even simpler (omitting the key fields entirely). It can also be a self-join on just the checkbox toggle.

Is this similar to what you wish?

LaRetta

Add a global to the parent table that will be used as the parent key in a "not equal" relationship:

gComplete (text, global)

Insert whatever value you use in that Complete checkbox in the child table. Add this additional criteria to your existing relationship:

parent::gComplete <> child::Complete

I'm a slow typer (perfectionist really,) but LaRetta's plan could work too. However, it would require that Complete field in the child table to always have a value (1 or 0, yes or no, etc.) It would also require that a radio button be used instead of a checkbox.

I think this is where i was getting stuck, I'd tried something similar to what both of you suggested, but here is the problem. When I am on a record that is completed the portal shows no records (i assume because there is no relationship present), and when im on a record that isnt completed the portal shows and includes even the completed records. What am I missing here?

Ron

This topic is 6706 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.