Related Record

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am viewing records (through a portal) from a database "file1" in another related database "file2" and viewing them through a portal in the 2nd file.

I can select any of the items shown in the portal and use them in the second database. i.e posting them into a table within the second database.

When I add items from the first DB to the 2nd DB the item that I just added will dissappear from portal1 (file1) then be shown in the portal2 (file2).

When I send items into portal2 I obviously am turning off criteria of to which it is shown in the first instance.

So, if I delete that same item from portal2 I wish that it be shown back in portal one, which is in File1.

I have a Set Field that copys the record number into file2 but I cannot seem to get to that record in the 1st database.

I am not sure how to use "Go Related To Record" command when it is in a different file.

Basically I need to "go to a related record" in a related table in a seperate file. Go to a specific "record" and "set field" to say "NO"

Seems so simple, but I cannot work it out.

Basically I need to "go to a related record" in a related table in a seperate file. Go to a specific "record" and "set field" to say "NO"

Ben

Put a button in the portal and attach a script along the lines of

Freeze Screen

Go to related record

(this will move the pointer in the related file to the record on that portal row)

Perform external script your related table:' set to no'

Refresh Window

now put a script called 'set to no' into the related file with one line

set field 'your field:"No"'

That should get what you want

Phil

Hi Phil.

The problem I am actually having is that the related record I want to change is'nt on the portal row where the button will be. As per your suggestion.

The portal row that would take me to is the one in the current file. The record I wish to go to in is another file and another portal.

I need to somehow take the unique record ID from the portal row I am on.

go to that recordID in the other related table, then "set field" to NO.

I am not sure how to get the related record in the other file/portal??

Hi Ben,

I think that all you need may be one more relationship but please forgive me as I cannot quite follow the problem (not unusual - I have terrible trouble deciphering peoples descriptions).

Any chance of attaching a clone file to have alook at as I am sure the answer is quite simple really

Phil

I think I have it :idot: .

If you are getting the id through to the second file then create a new relationship from the second file back to the first based on the id.

Presuming that the id is unique in the first file you will then be able to script from file 2 to set any field in file 1 via this relationship

HTH

Phil

That sounds like a plan to link them.

I am still not sure on how to get the related record? in the 1st file? I suppose using the " go to related record" whilst using the new link & TO

I will have to have a go at it from there.I am not sure I am understanding this concept totally..

I get a bit mixed with many to many relationships

Thanks.

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.