Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Best platform for server 5

Tomo1

This topic is 8274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A question allways guaranteed to get a lot of varied responses. This is kind of a "what car is best for me?" question. As to OS's, at this time I wouldn't yet commit to OS X, just not enough history. I never like to be on the "bleeding edge". On a machine that will run mac OS 8.6, 9.0.4, and 9.1, I'd run 8.6. If you can only run OS 9, I'd run 9.0.4. If you can only run 9.1, oh well. You will hear responses that speed is best on an NT box. NT 4 users report good stability, Win 2000 reports have been mixed, perhaps due to familiarity with how to setup FM on this relatively new OS.

Another big issue is what platforms you have and are familiar with in your operation. If you are an all PC shop, don't go out a buy a Mac just for FM Server. If you are an all Mac shop, I wouldn't bring in an NT or 2000 box just for FM. In either case, it will be much easier and cheaper for you to maintain the platform you are already familiar with. I wouldn't bring in any platform or OS that you aren't already using.

You'll get other opinionated responses...let the games begin wink.gif" border="0.

-bd

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

A step further: now we have two really new platforms: MacOS X/XS and Linux.

Before, with FMS 5 X stood for "Classic". I can agree with LiveOak only if the intentions of Jimbo were non-technical, but only generic. Nobody is so stupid to use a "MacLaren F1" for a "Camel Troophy" or viceversa but in pure performance terms (e.g. speed) which is the winner? MacOS X or Linux? W2000 or MacOS 9? I still have got not FMS 55, so I can't perform a test.

In my opinion, the unix ones may be faster than W2000 and MacOS and the Linux version may show the best price/transaction ratio! But we need to prove this.

/Stefano

I think LeMans might be a better comparison. Here there a many classes and options and you must pick your approach to success... performance vs. reliability vs. team cost.

-bd (former Nissan Performance Technology Inc., IMSA-GTP team member)

I think LeMans might be a better comparison. There are many classes and options and you must pick your approach to success... performance vs. reliability vs. team cost.

-bd (former Nissan Performance Technology Inc., IMSA-GTP team member)

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: LiveOak ]

This topic is 8274 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.