Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Indirection!!!

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I would like all static references for things to be lifted. Such as SET FIELD, instead of a "specify" button to specify and choose from a static list of tables/fields I would like the standard define field calculation box where we can specify by various methods which field to set.

This would also be good for Variables right now you have to declare the variable name instead allow us to provide our own calculation to do so. I realize you can use the actual value part and a Let statement to do the same thing but it would be much simpler to use the entry box for the variable name it's own calculation apart from the calculation use to declare the variable.

I can see this greatly simplifying Go To Related records. How many times do you have to have multiple script steps just to use Goto related record because you have to explicitly choose which table occurrence you are using. This could be one GTRR based on a calculation and perhaps a parameter that part of the calculation would determine if performs a go to showing all / extended or related.

Speaking of GTRR right now you have the option of using the current window and switching layouts or creating a new window for the results. It would be nice if you can choose to recycle an existing open window (regardless of it's contents) when doing a GTRR. Also when specifying your GTRR it would be nice to have some form of popup to display your graph so you can see the paths of where you are and where you want to go.

It would be also nice to indirectly state by calculation which script to run.

So were ever there is a list of things to choose from replace it or add the option of using the standard calculation box. Were we can choose to calculate our own selection by indirection and abstraction.

Lets create a list of places that this could apply to feel free to add your ideas..

Perform Script

Set Variable - The variable name

Go To Related Record - Table Occurrence / Recycle window

Go To Field - indirectly by calculation field & rep

Go To Portal Row - allow to specify which relationship

This topic is 6700 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.