Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Display related record image from folder

This topic is 6390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

You don't reflect an ability in FileMaker, so I will assume that it is not Advance and explain in more detail.

You need a relationship between the two files. The Current File is the one you wish to see the container, and the Related is the one where you have stored the image.

Be sure you create a Key that will be unique. i.e. not a constant.

Go into Layout Mode in the Current File and place a New field on your layout. When the dialog box opens, choose the New Relationship, and then the container in the Related File.

HTH

Lee

Yes I am not a pro, but I am trying.

I am not quite sure what you are telling me. What I want is for a field to display the record being browsed's related image automatically. This would be a one time deal as after the script is run I know the image would stay in the container field.

The reason I am trying to do this is when I or one of the secretaries at my office has to add a new person to our ID system they don't have to go through the manual process of right clicking on the field, insert image and navigate to find it. I want it to be done as soon as the new person is added.

FKSSTECHGUY

What you are asking now is a little different than what I read into your first post.

You can use the Insert Picture script step to do this. However, you will need to set the path for the Secretary too.

How is the secretary going to know which picture?

Is there a specific folder where they will be stored?

Lee

The database is stored on a network drive and so are the images, so once I set it up it should not be a problem.

As for where the images are stored they are in the database's root folder. Similar idea to when you design a webpage and have images.

All the images have a unique ID number that coorisponds with individuals ID number eg. john smith's ID# is 007 then the image would be 007.jpg.

Thanks,

FKSSTECHGUY

So now there is a network involoved.

You have not specified the correct setup, and it makes it difficult to help when the information dribbles in.

How are the files be served on this Network.

Server, IWP, Peer to peer?

Lee

I am sorry for the confusion. The way it works at the moment is the FileMaker 7 database and related images are stored on a network drive. The FM program is a local install on the PC. This PC has access to the drive. The program is only accessed by one person and that is the secretary in the office for the purpose of making ID TAGS.

I will include a copy of the database that I am working on.

As long as the images are in the same folder as the database, the root folder, I thought it wouldn't matter where it is stored.? Same as a webpage, as long as the page, a related pages and images are in the same folder It shouldn't matter where the folder is or where you are accessing it from for the page to function correctly as all the related paths would stay the same.

FKSSTECHGUY

IDTAG.zip

• 9 months later...

You can set up the image field as a Calculation, result of Container, and build the path and filename. For example, the calculation could be something of the sort of: "image:images/" & Student Number & ".jpg" . That is, I believe, what you are looking for; in practice, I added conditonals for when no image exists, but basically, if there is a pic called "1234.jpg" in the "images" folder located inside of the folder where your database file is located, it will show up in the calc-container for the record of the student with number "1234".

This topic is 6390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.