Combine/Merge Layouts...

ilider

This topic is 6666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have developed a FileMaker solution for logging my observations and generating report documents of those findings as noted on my inspections. However, I am burdened with having to generate multiple separate documents as opposed to one flowing report.

For example: Each report has a Cover Page, and an Observations section. This I can handle with the Title Header, Header, Sub-summary by Section (Leading), Body and Footer Part Definitions, no problem. But how can I combine other layouts (sub-reports) to create/compile a single printed document? ie; Supporting Images, Scope of Repairs, Legal Boilerplate, etc...

I would like to print, email, fax, and pdf the report based on my client's needs. Also, choose which sub-reports to compile ie; Cover Page + Observations + Supporting Images vs. Cover Page + Summary + Summary Images + Scope of Repairs.

It doesn't matter if there is a ton of scripting involved. This seems to be an obvious necessity. Can we do this within FileMaker 8 and make it cross platform compatible?

Thank you in advance,

Todd Rosene

I can't talk about cross platform since I only do Windows. For output going to a printer, just follow printing the 1st layout with the 2nd, 3rd, etc. All this is fairly easy to script.

PDFs are more of a problem, since Filemaker's new PDF capability doesn't permit concatentating 2 or more PDFs. I know there are ways to do it in Windows: I bought the Schubec plugin (which may run on the Mac) that creates the Postscript file, and then silently calls Ghostscript to create the PDF. If I were only interested in merging PDFs, I'd use PDFtk (PDF Toolkit: only runs on Windows), a free utility. Unfortunately, those 'clowns' at FMI disable the PDF creation when you create a runtime, which I do. The Schubec plugin allow allows you to email the PDF using the email facility that's available on the platform of your choice.

Steve

This topic is 6666 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.