Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cached Join Results?

mattc

This topic is 6671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi There

I have a minor issue i'm trying to get my head around. I am presenting statistcis via a portal to show the number of calls logged against a particular customer contract.

What I am finding though, is that when the portal has been accessed, I have to click off of it (i.e. background or another field) before the values are displayed.

When they have been displayed once, Filemaker seems to cache the stats ready (instantly) the next time this record is accessed. If you quit & relaunch the database, they need to be refreshed again.

The stats arrive via a relationship to another table which is using a summary field to calculate the statistic in the first place.

It seems to be a portal refresh issue, as in FMP5 the portal 'seemed' to refresh on the fly.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

p.s. hope this makes sence.

It is a refresh issue, and you can force a refresh by invoking a Refresh Window [Flush cached join results] script step. You could possibly make the portal refresh automatically by changing a few things around, like using a Sum(related) calc instead of related summaries - but we would have to see your file to make sure.

Thanks for the reply...

Yes it does solve the problem, but brings back one I was trying to avoid. By using the Sum calculation, this 'stalls' the database until the figures are displayed (which can be counting several hundred records in the child db).

This doesn't happen via the Summary method.

I also don't have the option to index/store the results as other calculation fields are referenced.

Thanks

This topic is 6671 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.