Importing DOS based files

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm thinking of getting FileMaker to replace a program called RapidFile that runs on DOS (it's about time!). I'm just wondering if I will be able to transfer the data from DOS to Windows in order to import it into FileMaker or if I'll have to start over from scratch (transfering all that data manually)?

Thanks for your help!

That'd depend on what data types RapidFile supports. FM supports all common ones (tab or comma delimited text files, DBF, XSL,...). So find out what RapidFile supports as export formats and then check if FM supports the same.

• Newbies

Thing is, I think the extension is ".rpd" which isn't in the list of supported formats for FM...I've been trying to see if there was a way to transfer the data from DOS to Windows in whatever format possible and from there, change it to a format that is supported by FM and then uploading it into FM but I've yet to find a way to do so...I know it's a pretty vague question but I still appreciate any help I could get for this (not sure I'm up to transfering all 4000 files manually...!!)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know this for a fact, but I am guessing that you will have a difficult time getting any other program to read the native data file directly. If you can get the DOS data base program to export any kind of text based data file or text based report you can import it into FileMaker very easily and then write some scripts to parse it apart and clean it up.

I don't know this for a fact, but I am guessing that you will have a difficult time getting any other program to read the native data file directly. If you can get the DOS data base program to export any kind of text based data file or text based report you can import it into FileMaker very easily and then write some scripts to parse it apart and clean it up.

This topic is 6589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.